wing building

dust

I gota tell you, wing building is like magic. You follow these instructions, including making all of these crazy looking cuts (tapperd polygons, in the inside of the wing and later, much later (after many, many layups for sheer webs/spar caps/covering). You make these cuts along the top and bottom of the wing - and they are not in the same place and whalla!!! a friez aileron pops out

Keep building - it starts to get funner as you go

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I've seen your "production schedule" and it really looks like you have the process down to an art! I wish I could get to a session and maybe learn something to do mine, which I'd love to do this summer, but I suspect it will be a winter project - or next year :( especially since I'm in Toronto.

I've been mainly building alone, so it does take a chunk longer, and the "economies of scale" don't happen easily!

Great Job!

/dan

• 4 weeks later...

figured I'd bore youuns some more, finished third wing in jig two weeks ago and started 4th wing last saturday, sure is fun doing things the last time. This is that last time we will cut the alerion cuttout and can give the templates away, the is the last time we can cut the electrical hole in the wrong place and then recut it!

We did improve though, this time we discoverred our mistake before the wing was glued together with sheer web on the bench waiting for spar cover, this time we could just reset the templet to the position clearly marked on the plans and recut, the last time we had to make a 4 foot dril from electrical conduit and hand drill it through the foam.

This weekend the last glue together of wing cores!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

john, I have two hobbies, furniture building and airplane building. I build furniture m-f 7 to 10 and sunday 10 to 5, except when my wife neeeds me elsewhere and as I build everything for her or our family, that's not often. The last item I built was a small chest of drawers with concave sides and fronts and a real gloss finish - five and a half months on the above schedule, the finish took 6 weeks.

But I have too admit that building 4 wings gets old, 28 weeks of the same thing calls for a celebration, hell finishing a chapter calls for one, for that matter, just a sentence can sometimes be a major accomplishment! I remember chap 7 curving the bottom corners, the sanding forms, the templetes, the pour foam and sanding again and again, oh - thats right I didn't do that - one of my partners did, but I gotta tell you, I got tired just watching him.

Your finish trick is a standard one on furniture, shine a light at an angle and the imperfections pop out at you, alop try switching sanding patterns when you switch grit back forth/side to side/circular.

I actually love to sand, I just go into never never land and do it, sometimes for weeks on end, well I'll rattle on later, BTW you have done bueatiful work and your input to the groups is exemplary!

i can be reached at

• 1 month later...

well, all added up yesterday was the end of the spars, 16 spar caps - done, 8 for wings, 4 for main spars and 4 for canards.

One more cover layup and on to the verticle stabilizers/rudders. What do ya think, two at a time - 4 days/weeks each??

Mike

i can be reached at

• 6 months later...

Well i gotta laugh, we are still working on the wings, they are not tough, just time consuming, well, the sanding of the elevators and rudders is, well, pickey. I just want consistant gaps everywhere on the plane. The only troublesome layups have been the inside verticle rudder pockets, some bubling every time, not to worry, just sand and repair and the install of the hidden bellhorn is trickey, they don't want to line up with the cable, had to make wedges and modify the parts slightly, just picky work, will be done in a year or two, he he he

i can be reached at

• 1 month later...

OK, we are finishing attaching the ailerons and have a minor tip we picked up from not using the hidden hinge idea.

Upholstery foam holds the hinge in place great while the flox bedding is hardening.

Also, do not, i mean, DOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT forget to wax and tape off the hinge pin area or you will be sorry

i can be reached at