Getting started on Open-EZ

xanman31

Instead of posting everywhere I decided to get my own going in my search for help to build this thing. I have the templates back from kinkos and I'm waiting for my Terf CD to show up....During this waiting I'm thinking I could have something on order and have it coming. So what do I start with for an order ? Wicks looks to have it laid out perfectly by chapter. Look like I'll have to find a fiberglassing system to use as well. Any suggestions? This is my first aircraft project but I'm pretty handy and have plenty model aircraft building experience and good electrical skills as well. Do I need to have my panel lay out configured before glassing it in place ? Tips and suggestions on all topics wanted....

xanman

So what do I start with for an order ?

If you haven't done any composite layups, I would highly recommend ordering the practice kit from AS&S or Wicks. That will let you skip Chapter 3 and get busy into Chapter 4 (after you order).

Wicks looks to have it laid out perfectly by chapter.

With the Long-EZ changing some materials along the way, you have to be careful whether to actually trust Wicks to have updated their Chapter kits to reflect any material changes called out for in the Canard Pusher newsletters. I would hold off ordering anything until I received the Long-EZ plans from TERF, printed them out, AND THEN went through all the CP newsletters to apply changes to the plans to make current. After that, you'll have a better idea on what to order.

Look like I'll have to find a fiberglassing system to use as well. Any suggestions?

MGS has the least odor, good qualities, has a pretty blue-green color, but is somewhat expensive. Other epoxy systems work well too, and there's no problem changing along the way.

This is my first aircraft project but I'm pretty handy and have plenty model aircraft building experience and good electrical skills as well.

I was a modeler too, and was pleasantly surprised when I was able to use many of the tools and techniques I already had.

Do I need to have my panel lay out configured before glassing it in place ?

Absolutely not. You can get specific and fancy with that well down the road. Don't worry about it right now -- it's just a bulkhead. You can cut it up, or cut it out entirely (to fit a removable panel) later.

Tips and suggestions on all topics wanted...

Throttle your enthusiasm and pace yourself? You definitely have the bug. Enjoy it!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

If you haven't done any composite layups, I would highly recommend ordering the practice kit from AS&S or Wicks. That will let you skip Chapter 3 and get busy into Chapter 4 (after you order).

Will do today

With the Long-EZ changing some materials along the way, you have to be careful whether to actually trust Wicks to have updated their Chapter kits to reflect any material changes called out for in the Canard Pusher newsletters. I would hold off ordering anything until I received the Long-EZ plans from TERF, printed them out, AND THEN went through all the CP newsletters to apply changes to the plans to make current. After that, you'll have a better idea on what to order.

Have open ez plans printed as well as long nose cad drawings. Kinkos is going to make a manual for me from the Terf CD for $18 so I don't have to carry a laptop around or sit in front of the computer.

MGS has the least odor, good qualities, has a pretty blue-green color, but is somewhat expensive. Other epoxy systems work well too, and there's no problem changing along the way.

Sounds like a plan to me

Don't worry about it right now -- it's just a bulkhead.

Good to know..I will stop fretting over it then

Will go shopping for birch today and price rental storage.

xanman

You don't need the birch right now. In fact you won't need it until you insert your center section spar (ch. 14.) Use any 1/4 inch plywood in the mean time.

The old technique was to try and snake the spar into the slot but most folks now hold off on mounting the perm firewall until after the spar is in place.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Thanks for the tip TMANN....

Yeah, that change in the assembly really made a lot of sense.

It works especially well when you are mounting a Mazda power plant such as a 13B or a 20B.

Perry ....... Jump in here! I think I found us a new thread! :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Purchased a 2001 EJ25 out of a Subaru Outback LTD. with 4WD and auto trans. today. Not sure if the ECU is the one people are using but a little reasearch should fix that. Real World Solutions has a plug and play that would be a quick solution along with a plug and play engine info system at a good price.....BUT....the stock subaru computer has some redundant features not on the RWS system.....choices..choices..choices...