A better rotary design?

This company was pointed out to me by another forum member. It's like a rotary, but different.

Posted Image

www.quasiturbine.com

Interesting concept, and some specific mention of use in aircraft.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

An interesting concept. I do think there comments about their being no crankshaft are somewhat misleading. True, the design does not have a centerline crankshaft going through the engine, but they do have to connect the rotating assembly to the external pully to transfer power. So, instead of a solid shaft the rotating assmembly is connected by either multiple shafts or a conical flange to the rotating pulley on the outside of the housing.

At it's current state of development, it's probably 10-15 years away from being a viable powerplant option. (provided it actually works).

To oversimplify it, it's basically a 4 cycle rotary vs. the 3 cycle Mazda/Wankel rotary.

I don't see any fundimental advantage, it might be a small amount smoother, but using 2 roters achieves that result anyway.

You still have the issues of excess surface area on the combustion chambers.

So....I'm "just another forum member"...Oh, I see :D

Thought you might have wanted to be anonymous, but I'm sure I can think of another name for you if you'd like. :)

True, the design does not have a centerline crankshaft going through the engine, but they do have to connect the rotating assembly to the external pully to transfer power.

I was under the impression that the shaftless design was for pumping fluids, and that there IS a centerline crankshaft in their design for aircraft (or other applications requiring a crankshaft).

At it's current state of development, it's probably 10-15 years away from being a viable powerplant option. (provided it actually works).

That's probably a fair statement.

To oversimplify it, it's basically a 4 cycle rotary vs. the 3 cycle Mazda/Wankel rotary.

That is over simplified, since both engines are 4 cycle engines.

I don't see any fundimental advantage, it might be a small amount smoother, but using 2 roters achieves that result anyway.

Did you actually read the info. on their Web site? They make quite a few good points.

Their big selling point relative to a three lobe Wankel is that there is no elliptical motion on a centerline crankshaft. The distance from the lobe connection points to the centerline of the engine is constant.

Why's that a selling point? The eliptical motion drives a 3:1 shaft, increasing the engine torque.

Simplicity and reduced energy loss. Their goal is to be able to power a prop WITHOUT a reduction drive. That's a selling point.

I would cheer this company on, hope Mazda buys them, wins a ton of road races, and then releases as the Renesis 9. Alternatively, you can just say their idea sucks.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV