Today was the 2nd flight of Cozy N75CZ. This one was longer than the first, but still only about 30 minutes. I removed the thermostat, and took some pitch out of the prop, which both helped the temperatures quite a bit. I still need to get used to the pitch sensitivity of the Cozy. I'm probably gripping the stick too tight also. I'm sure that there are imprints of my hand in the grips from a couple of hours ago.

The fastest I went was about 120 knots, and mostly I just cruised around the airport at 100-100 knots. I stayed a little outside of the normal traffic pattern, but not by very far.

The winds were favoring runway 27, which was not my first choice because there are lots of trees off that end, and no good landing spots if needed. By the time that I decided to make the flight the density altitude was getting up there, and it was almost 90 degrees. Also the visibility was only 5 miles, which isn't good either.

I did check out a few more things on this flight handling wise, with some turns, and some flight at 80 knots. My first landing yesterday was really good. Today's' landing made up for it. Well, actually, the actual landing was pretty smooth, but getting there was very ugly. I hit a high sink rate while on short final (maybe got a little slow), so I pushed the nose, and gave it power, resulting also in a increase in speed. I crossed the threshold at about 90 knots and flared at about 80. You can probably guess how far I floated. Every time I tried to set the canard on the horizon to land, it would start climbing, and I would have to work it back down. This repeated 2 or 3 times. Good thing that the airport has a 5000' runway. I was also amazed at how long, and slow it flew in ground effect. I'm not sure of the exact speed, but it was pretty slow. The last I saw was 70 knots, and it flew quite a while after that. I think that I need to add an anchor.

No real squawks with the plane this flight. I didn't pull the cowling today, because it was so hot outside by the time I took it back to the hanger. I'll do another check before the next flight. I also want to recalculate my single pilot weight and balance. I think that I showed the ballast that I'm using ahead of the rudders pedals too far back. On the spreadsheet I have it listed as 7", but they are only about 4" centered from F0, so I need to see how that changes the number. With 50 lbs there, I'm sure that the CG is a little forward of what I initially calculated. I had it right at 100, which is center of the range, so I'm sure that it's still within specs, but probably a little further forward than would be ideal.

Steve Brooks

Cozy MKIV N75CZ

Mazda 13BT

Steve, I felt that one, like I was there with you again. Way to go!

I'd take that landing over one that tests the strength of the gear!

Please keep us posted with your future test flights. Many of us here are very interested in rotary power.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV