No MGS in sight??

Big Steve

I just got off the phone with acs they want to send me my order for chapt. 4-7 but cannot send me any of the mgs 335 slow hardner. Of course this totaly bummed me out. I cnat really do much without epoxy.

I really wanted to try the mgs out. I do not want to wait so I went ahead and ordered the ez 84 epoxy. This is the same stuff I built my Longeze out of so I know it will work I was just really jazzed about using something with a much lower vicosity. I figured the layups would go a whole lot faster. O well I already have a ratio pump for this stuff so It will be easy to just throw some in and start. I thought the bluish tinted foam parts looked better than the dirty brown of the ez epoxy. Any one hear if we will ever be able to get mgs again? STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

You can try ProSet if you're trying to pay the most you can for epoxy. A bad feature of MGS is that the hardener crystalizes fairly easily to the point where I don't see how it could be considered "pump friendly". Unless of course you kept the pump and hardener at 100degs F all the time.

Also, MGS 335 has lower mechanicals than the 285 version. It's also supposedly a higher viscosity than the 285 version. You can try them both -- do the bulkheads in EZpoxy and everything else in MGS.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I am now curious> what does the pro-set look like on the foam? Is it clear like the west system? The plans are kind of weird on this subject there is one place where it says to only use the appoved laminating resins. Which the west system and proset are not on then on the page over it says you can use the west system. I am just trying to build as cheaply as possible I want to use all the approved stuff but sometimes I wonder if we are just really annall about some of material. There are several companies on the web that sell epoxy that other planes are using they seem to work well for them. I sometimes wonder since nobody connected to the plans makes money if you buy from a non approved vendor if it is just a money thing. I am no designer or engineer so I will stay with the approved stuff but I sure wonder sometimes If we have to use the exspensive stuff all the time. STeve:confused: :confused:

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Question:

Why is aeropoxy never mentioned. I used aero poxy for my AC without any problems. It was recomended by Shirl Dickey for the E Racer and I have used it for about 10 years. I have been to where most have not been in airspeed and have not have any structural problems. I believe it is available at both sources, Wicks and ACS. Just a thought.

Jack Racer 113

Jack:

The honest cheap reason I have not considered AEROPOXY is because my epoxy pump is the old style 100:47 and I dont want to buy another one. I noticed that AEROPOXY is 100:30 I guess I could make a balance or use my scale I just really like the convenience of the pump. Plus I have already made a nice little box for it to fit in. Heater thermastadt and all. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

I like my MGS and was planning on not even painting the interior. The surfaces come out so nice with the peel ply I figured why bother. I'm afraid the interior paint would wear off over time. I just plan on a green leather matching interior components. I hate the thought of switching.

Bob

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

Aircraft Spruce said they would have some MGS by Nov. 9-10th I do not know if they really know though. That is why I decided to change epoxy. When there is Mgs available I will buy some. Maybe by the time I do the fuselage sides. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Yea I have been thinking about that. Not being an engineer or a mathamatics genious I should just lenghthen the connector to the hardner until I get it to weigh the right way or use a graduated device to measure the ratio. I was trying out how to do it mathmatically and just got stumped. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 1 month later...

Thae dates of when the suppliers were going to get MGS has been a moving target for awhile.

Bob

I can't find the stuff anywhere, and can't even get a GUESTIMATE as to when the stuff will be available. :(

Does anyone have any inside info?

Should I switch to EZ-poxy? I'm down to my last gallon of MGS 335, and getting ready to make the fuselage bottom. I suppose that when I go to glass the outside of the fuselage that would be as good a time as any to switch to something else. :feedback:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

I have no inside info., but am not too worried about never seeing MGS again -- I'm confident we will.

As far as switching, there's no issue with applying layups using a different epoxy system to FULLY CURED layups applied with another.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

For what it's worth, my supplier got his shipment in some weeks back. Got six gallons of 285/287 about two weeks ago... This is up in (Toronto) Canada, and since the North American distributor (Airheart) is up here in Hamilton, that's a stop on the way from Germany for the stuff, so maybe soon you'll have it again.

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

When I first ordered my chapt. 4-7 materials a couple of months ago Acs told me they would have MGS by the end of Nov. I did not want to wait so I ordered ez-poxy It is a bit cheaper and that is what my pump was designed for. I have not checked back with ACS. I would like to try some MGS I hear it wetts out really easy. If anyone out there gets a line on some MGS let us all know. STeve:D

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

I placed an order with ACS yesterday, and got this reply today:

Items left on backorder are:

4.00 of 01-41100 L335 MGS EPOXY RESIN 1 GA DUE AT WEST 12/21/06

3.00 of 01-41106 H340S MGS HARDENER QT SLOW DUE AT WEST 12/21/06

So, being that Canada got a shipment, maybe Dec 21 will hold... :scared:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Phil:

I hate to bust your bubble but back in early Oct. I ordered MGS from spruce they back ordered it and told me it would come in the 20th of that month. Then when they did not ship my order I called. They told me the MGS was back ordered until Nov. 20. That is when I told them to send me ezy poxy. I guess what I am trying to say is that I do not trust acs to tell the truth about when the mgs is comming in so you can take your chances. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Hi Steve - I just got off the phone with customer support, and I told her what you said. She promised to contact the buyer directly as soon as he comes in and call me back with an explanation. I'll let everyone know what they have to say as soon as I hear from them. :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

ACS just told me that the issue is getting permission from our government to ship the stuff into the country... but that they expect to get approval this month... So I guess same old same old... :(

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

ACS just told me that the issue is getting permission from our government to ship the stuff into the country... but that they expect to get approval this month... So I guess same old same old... :(

Not sure that's all of it, we had a dry spell here too, so part of the issue seems to be also getting it over to North America from Germany (just inference)... Anyhow, my supplier (Composites Canada, they have a web site) did mention when I was chatting with them about how you folks down south don't seem to be getting any :sad: that they didn't see why they couldn't ship there... might be an option, not sure.

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

We at Aircraft Spruce wanted to give Cozy builders an update on the status of MGS epoxy. We and other distributors of MGS epoxy have been out of stock for some time because we have not been able to get shipments from our supplier in Canada. The supplier has been in the process of getting packaging recertification from a Canadian agency in Ottawa and has been hoping to get approval for several weeks. As of December 11, they are still waiting but hope to receive approval shortly. As soon as they do, they will ship to Aircraft Spruce and other distributors. In the meantime, we have plenty of EZ-Poxy, Poly Polxy, and Alpha Poxy in stock.

Our thanks to our composite builders for their patience during this shortage of MGS epoxy.

Tom Marracci

Aircraft Spruce

The supplier has been in the process of getting packaging recertification from a Canadian agency in Ottawa and has been hoping to get approval for several weeks.

Tom Marracci

Aircraft Spruce

How will the packaging recertification effect the increased HazMat fees imposed on the MGS system?

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

• 2 weeks later...